Saturday, February 5, 2011

Update from Mendoza, Argentina

I see now that blogging is not unchallenging.  When there is no wi-fi the process can get stifled!
So, here I am, already 6 days later and, not having checked in, forget most of what has happened.

Today I went down for breakfast and low and behold saw a newspaper with a front cover interview, complete with multiple color photos,  that Julio Mazziotti and I did yesterday at "UNO," a media empire here that also presented us on a live TV show yesterday morning.  That was how we started the day.  Then we continued our promotional blitz doing a few radio interviews in which I actually spoke  Spanish somehow.  I hope it was at least charming if not accurate.




And our poster is all over the place- at every bus stop and newspaper stand!

Then we went on to a press conference filled with government cultural representatives from both Mendoza and Italy, which is also sponsoring the concert.  I am always amazed at the turnout in foreign countries for the press.  And how informed the questions always are.  There is a real respect for the arts that I have rarely (never) experienced in the USA.

Last night we went to the theater and tried out the piano.  It is a brand new Steinway and quite stiff.  I think I will have to cut my nails even more so that I can apply lots of deep contact to this green instrument. The theater is a jewel, with tiers of private boxes and lots of gold and velvet.  It reminded me a little of La Fenice in Venice, but not as ornamented.

Today, we went to a Mendozan winery and I was impressed by the size of the oak barrels- holding 50,000 liters if I recall correctly.  The white wine was quite good, with a smokey flavor that seems to characterize all the wines I've tried here.  I couldn't sample the Malbec because I am allergic to reds, but I was not impressed with the bouquet.

I have to be careful here not to praise Chilean wines, because there are hostile relations between Argentinians and Chileans.  They never express this antagonism directly in speech, but once I figured it out by noticing consistently non-emotive reactions to any of my enthusiasms for Chile,  I learned to forget that Chile exists for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment